View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 07:07 PM
draggin_behind

Question Dumb question -- any ideas?

Not really sure where to post, so I hope this is okay. I lurk a lot on the boards but issues with life have kept me from doing much this year. Anyway... I will preface my question with this: I do not always play well with others and I rarely excel at playing "follow the leader" blindly down the garden path.

I belong to a quilting group that although filled with wonderful ladies, it could use some serious organization and planning, at least in my opinion.

Our group is supposed to work on homework for our next meeting. Apparently it is a major secret what the project is going to be. I'm not confident in my ability to use good judgement in placing values/scales/colors in quilt blocks when I don't have a clue what the heck I'm supposed to be making. Yep, I'm one of those who doesn't like secrecy or mystery unless I'm reading a book or watching TV. I like to see the ending from the beginning so I have a clue of what to aim for.

Our homework:
2 sets of strips, WOF x at least 22 inches. Strips can vary in width and that is encouraged: 1.5 to 2.75 in wide
background squares of white cut to 12 1/2 inches, with a mark 3 inches from each corner
4 inch squares, 10 each of 2 colors to showcase in the blocks, cut on diagonal and then have the diagonal pressed under 1/4 inch without stretching anything. (Right, like I can do that. )
a yard of non fusible interfacing or super thin fabric in place of interfacing.

Apparently there is some super duper template we will have to use in addition to the long rectangular ruler and/or a square one.

I've tried googling some keywords to see if I can hit on any possible quilts or blocks and have hit a brick wall. So, you awesome ladies & gents, does this pattern/instruction set sound familiar to anyone? I'll try to be a good girl and not pre-cut anything not listed in my homework, but I really would like an idea of the end result as it may change the fabrics I choose for the project.

Another thing that has me on edge is that I am NOT into scrappy stuff unless it's planned scrappy (i.e., you have 13 reds, 12 blues, 5 whites and 14 purples & you vary which red, blue or whatever in each block, but the red is always in the same spot...) I don't like the stuff that came to be by your pulling out of a bag & sewing together whether it matches or not. Most of the rest of the group LOVES scrappy. Me, not so much.

Even if you don't guess correctly, I know you'll have some spectacular suggestions. You always do.
TIA & have an awesome week!