View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 10:33 AM
quiltjoey

I am allergic to dairy, wheat products, hypoglycemia, have difficulty digesting beef/ pork. And on top of that have had many stomach ulcers! Knew about milk and I thought I was just "high strung" until if found out about gluten and meat. I am now GF and read all labels for any hint of wheat or by-products of it. Also, I don't eat anything related to milk or lactose or lactase. Blue Diamond almond milk, original because of added sugar to the vanilla, is all I use and have used it cooking and making my smoothies. Udi's gluten free bread works for me, as does Good for Life brown rice bread which soy, wheat and gluten-free. Bahama makes a rice based italian meat balls and hamburgers that are wheat, soy, gluten and meat free. They are made with black beans, etc. No meat.
I am doing what is called "eating clean". Only veggies, GF as I listed, lean, free-range chicken, and deep water fish. I am very careful about salad dressings and have found I can only eat Thousand Island and am making my own. For a cereal, Kellogg's Corn Flakes, Rice Krispies, and Rice Chex with almond milk are ok as a treat for me. My husband has finally come on board and we have lost weight. Carbs have been eliminated for me except for the few GF ones listed for sandwich. He uses 15 or 12 grain breads. Everything I basically cook is grilled and only use vegan, and milk-free products like Smart Balance. They have several kinds so be sure to read the label for milk. I do use Pam or coconut oil spray for my George Foreman grill.
When we have guests or family visiting, they eat what I eat (except maybe breads) and what I cook. With much trial and error, I am becoming better at GF and have felt better than ever as I have been allergic all my life and didn't know except for milk and being hypoglycemic since a teenager. GF has changed my life. I hope you will be successful. Perserverance, adaptation, and longing not to be sick anymore will dramatically change your life as well. God bless you as you go on your journey.
(Sorry to be so verbose)...