Old 10-05-2012, 03:16 AM
nycquilter

Each year, as one of my New Year's resolutions, I set an amount of square inches that I want to achieve in charity quilts. This is my third year with this resolution. My first goal was 12,000 sq. inches. Second year was 15,000 and this year it was 20,000. I have already made more than 24,000 this year--I was off for the summer!! And, I do not count overages for next year as that would defeat my purpose. The reason for setting an inch requirement is that I am not limited to one size. If I set # of quilts, say 20, I could get away with 20 small quilts. So, instead, I make all size quilts, from double bed to baby. I typically donate to my local Project Linus because they donate to various recipients--not just babies. They include the local hospitals who treat rape victims, babies, children, shelters, and so on. I also love that my quilts stay within my community as it is an economically deprived area in some parts (Sullivan County, NY). I have a huge stash so I pull the quilts from there. The fabrics are all LQS quality as I was taught to give what I would want to receive. Luckily, I can do that with these fabrics. If I didn't use up my stash (which likely will not occur in my lifetime if I live to be 175), what good would it be? I fully believe that I must give back to honor what I was given in this life.

Laurie