View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 11:51 AM
Rhonda
Power Poster

I went Wheat /Gluten free a month ago. I have had breathing problems for 12 yrs and after 2 weeks of no wheat/gluten my breathing was free and clear!!

I have found that some restaurants have a list online of their gluten free menu items. You can seach and find them and be prepared when you go. Applebee's had a book she brought out and they copied hte page for me so I have the page in my billfold for next time. I also printed off McDs from online.

For McDs I found the only GF meat was a regular hamb or double hamb. So I get that and a salad. Some of their dressings are GF.

Mostly you need to remember if it has been thickened or flavored you need to suspect wheat as the thickening agent. So all sauces /all soups / all dressings are suspect til you read the label and or check the manufacturer.

All plain meats / all plain vegs-fruits are naturally gluten free.

Shar is a brand that Walmart sells. They have a Penne pasta that is really good. I can't tell the difference.

I made a dish where you layer cooked Penne then shredded Colby cheese then cooked hamb. Layer this three times and I used milk instead of tomato juice and pour about a fourth to half cup milk over the top depending on the size of your dish.
I added some shredded colby to the top also before baking at 350 til it is all bubbling. about 20 to 30 mins should heat it through well.

Glutino is another brand I use from Walmart. I bought some crackers a couple of days ago so I can make a meatloaf with them. I eat alot of nuts as it is what my dr said I should use as snacks for my trygycerides.

I'm not allergic so I do bend hte rules a bit. I use things that have modified food starch in them. I read that it is usually corn modified so I use it.

I did find a trace of wheat in my sugar free koolaid but since I gave up pop several months ago I am not giving up my koolaid! LOL