Old 10-11-2012, 05:00 PM
Carolyn All Day

Default Please help me choose a new machine. Budget: about $500

I got my first sewing machine about a year ago (Brother cs6000i) and it was great at first, but as I'm sewing more and more, its drawbacks are becoming more obvious (can't handle fabrics that are even remotely thick, high speeds cause the motor to sound rough and drag, has a hard time sewing straight without a lot of babying from me, etc).

I like how easy it is to use - I just want to upgrade to something that is better quality.

I'd like to be able to order from Amazon as I have some gift cards to put toward the total cost. Janome seems to be a popular choice - I was looking at the dc2012, but I see no mention of an extension table being available (unless I'm just missing it somehow).

Anyway, does anyone have any experience with the above machine? I'm very open to other suggestions as well.

I'd like to do quilting and other basic sewing (making dolls for my girls, a little bit of clothing, making curtains, possibly cloth diapering supplies, etc) I plan on working with (in addition to basic quilting cotton) fabrics like fleece, flannel, PUL, etc.

I also enjoying doing applique on occasion, so if the machine has a nice satin stitch, that would be great.

I'd also like something that will last - I usually sew at LEAST 2-3 hrs/week and more often than not 10-15+ hrs/week.