Old 10-20-2012, 10:14 AM
J Miller

Originally Posted by Gigigigina View Post
I have my mother's 401a and is going to cost $179.00 to overhaul and put in good shape. I am planning on sewing crafts, beginning quilting, and some home decor projects. Should I have the overhaul performed or purchase the Janome 2012 (my price range for a new machine)? The Singer has never been serviced and was having serious tension problems.
OK, I did not read everybodies posts between yours and this one. So I'm gonna risk saying something that's been said before or asking something that's been asked already.

What exactly does the machine need that's going to cost nearly $200.00 to fix?

You can do cleaning and maintenance yourself. The tension problems could be nothing more than old oil, dirt, lint, fuzz and thread in the top tension and bobbin areas. Nothing you can't clean yourself. The owners manual gives detailed info on lubing the machine. There are other threads here, including one I did with pics, showing where to put oil and grease.

There are sites on the web such as TFSR that give very detailed instructions on disassembly, cleaning, fixing, reassembly and adjusting the tensions.

I'm just asking, not trying to be a smart arse.

Now to answer your post title question: "Should I overhaul my Singer 401A or purchase a Janome 2012?? Yes.

Joe