Old 10-21-2012, 09:06 AM
pheasantduster

Smile

Originally Posted by Gigigigina View Post
I have my mother's 401a and is going to cost $179.00 to overhaul and put in good shape. I am planning on sewing crafts, beginning quilting, and some home decor projects. Should I have the overhaul performed or purchase the Janome 2012 (my price range for a new machine)? The Singer has never been serviced and was having serious tension problems.
I have had my 410A since Sr in High School (1959!) and had to have it overhauled only once in 1992. Main problem was that it was losing power. I still have the repair slip in my Instruction Booklet and the charge then was $207. It was well worth it as there were a couple of replacement parts like brushes and ring and adjusting of needle shaft as it was off kilter. Over time, I have paid attention to the "sound" of my machine I oil and grease the required spots periodically. The bobbin tension can be tricky but with patience things can be adjusted to stitch properly. Now, 20 years later my machine is still giving me great service. I am one to sew frequently so it is well used. In recent years I have only been doing straight stitching and using the zig zag stitch for quilts and alterations of clothing. You must understand that this machine is all metal not plastic like newer machines. I would suggest that you carefully take apart and clean bobbin area with a soft brush then oil and grease where required.
If you do not have the instruction booklet, PM me and I will be happy to mail you a copy of the pages (6) showing exact places to oil and grease. (I use Singer brand oil and grease products) Don't let go of the machine - it might just need some TLC.

Last edited by pheasantduster; 10-21-2012 at 09:09 AM.