Old 10-23-2012, 01:52 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
If you mean we haven't seen the machine in person, or a photo, agreed.
My initial interpretation of this comment was that the people on the board that fix machines are not familiar with it. Not so.

I can also post a how to on how to disassemble and adjust the needle tensioner back to factory specs. That may fix your tension issues. Otherwise, somewhere here I posted how to disassemble and clean the bobbin case spring. It was for a featherweight, but the principle is the same. That's all (and probably more than) a lot of the repair shops would do. It's standard when I service, because I don't want to see the machine back, but I know one repair shop that bragged to me that they spend 10-15 mins on a service. I don't think that's something to be proud of personally.
I agree. But, why write it all out every time someone comes up with a mere tension problem. It is all in that wonderful manual that everyone has posted a million times on here. The manual has gone over the various types of tension - once you have taken a few a part and put it back together it can nearly be done in your sleep.. What is scary, most repair men are TRAINED to just REPLACE the tension with a brand new one rather than clean, properly reassemble and adjust your old tension. I just had one yesterday - I betcha someone got rid of a machine because someone spooned the disks when they reassembled the tension. The instructions putting a tension back together are sometimes in the owner's manual. Not as good as that repair manual but I managed it when I was about 18. I wish I had known where the tension spring was suppose to position.