View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012, 09:15 AM
roserips

My mom taught me to sew at the age of 12 actually my Birthday is in June and that summer she taught me. We selected the pattern and fabric from the fabric store and then I learned how to pin the pattern pieces and cut the pattern out. Next she drew lines on paper and I had to learn to sew on the line once I accomplished that I had to measure and mark a line 5/8" in on all of my cut fabric pieces then pin and sew as directed. I made a jump suit and loved it she told me the top of my zipper didn't match, so what I thought. Then she told me if I wanted clothes for school I had to sew them. I was introduced to her stash and told I could select a pattern with her approval from the store and to get busy fall and school were not far away. I enjoyed creating my clothes and continued to sew. My Senior year at school I took Art Studio which we contracted with the teacher to do a certain number of projects. Both of my grandmothers quilted so I had an idea of the process and I used scraps from all of my garment projects to create a quilt using 5" squares. My art teacher was so impressed with my quilt and wanted to share with the home ec. teacher well she wasn't all that impressed because my seam allowances were to narrow about 1/4". I learned to sew on the dinning room table and had to clear up for every meal. I decided that I would have a sewing room some day where I could create to my hearts content and have a wonderful stash full of fabrics and ribbons and anything else I might use in my projects. I first started out with a desk in the corner of my bedroom and now I have a full room that is dedicated to my sewing. I still do garments but have expanded and learned a lot more about quilting. My mother is gone but I have taught my gran-daughters to sew and one has made 2 quilts.