View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012, 10:02 AM
margecam52

Who taught you to sew?
I taught myself to sew at about age 9. My mom taught me to do embroidery, cutwork and pulled work.

What frustrated you the most about your sewing machine?
Nothing. My mom never knew how to use the machine a neighbor gave us. I figured it out & was the one who did most of the sewing.

What would make it easier to learn to sew?
It would have been nice to have had someone who knew the different ways to make garments...I am self taught.

What did you do to conquer the sewing machine?
It was actually easy for me. Newer machines, I read the instruction manual and keep it close at hand.

What kept you going?
Necessity

Where did you keep your sewing machine? Case or Cabinet?
The first was in a case, and we set it up on the table. I now have several machines in a designated area...they are always out and ready to use.

When did you conquer the sewing machine?
At about age 9-10.

How did you ever learn to quilt?
Again, self taught. I did take a class on quiltmaking from start to finish, covered everything..design, color, etc...all the way to binding & attaching a hanging sleeve.

Did you use a straight stitch or zig zag sewing machine to learn to sew?
ZigZag...Montgomery Ward brand

Were you a child or an adult when you learned to quilt?
Well, I was married & expecting our first child...age 16.
One thing about the last question...Some don't take into consideration those of us who grew up in a very poor enviroment...circumstances were/are different for those with limited means...I am blessed in the fact that my hubby has worked full time since age 15, and was 18 when we married (I was barely 16)...we grew up poor, started out poor...but we are stronger for it...that first machine was a dream come true.

Now, I don't have to sew/quilt...it's more a hobby business for me...and I use the proceeds to buy more gadgets/machines