View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012, 07:18 PM
SharonCase

My mom sent me to a sewing class for girls sponsored by the Home Demonstration club she was in (in rural, coastal VA). i was about 10, I think. She continued teaching me and taught me the basics of sewing. I made skirts, slacks, blouses, etc. I learned to sew on her old Singer that had been converted to electric--straight stitches only!

when I got married, I bought a low-end machine that would do zig zags and blind hem stitches. I think it cost $100 dollars. I made clothes for my daughter and myself, and eventuallt the motor burned up while i was sewing, and my mom said it was because I was sewing on Sunday.

today, many years later, i am 56, and my almost 34 year old daughter and I have been learning to quilt for about a year. I've made 3 king- sized quilts if you count the one I took to the long-arm lady this afternoon, and a few baby gifts... 4 maybe.

i have a Babylock Encore, and I love it! Also a Bernina Deco embroidery machine. I've also recently bought a Singer Featherweight that was born in 1952--it's older than I am! My daughter has a low-endy Brother that has several decorative stitches and sews a beautiful seam. It was her birthday gift last year, and I wasn't about to make a huge investment in a machine to sit around and collect dust.

i found the 1/4-inch foot with the large guide very frustrating. I think it's either due to the curve of the sewing surface of the or the placement of the openings for the feed dogs. The fabric doesnt ride under it as it should, but I bought a new foot last week and it has made a world of difference.

the most rewarding thing? Sewi g with my daughter. I knew she was hooked when she came by the house one night and pulled fabric swatches out of her pocket to show me what she had bought.