View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012, 07:50 PM
quiltjoey

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Who taught you to sew?
What frustrated you the most about your sewing machine?
What would make it easier to learn to sew?
What did you do to conquer the sewing machine?
What kept you going?
Where did you keep your sewing machine? Case or Cabinet?
When did you conquer the sewing machine?
How did you ever learn to quilt?
Did you use a straight stitch or zig zag sewing machine to learn to sew?
Were you a child or an adult when you learned to quilt?
My Mother ( with no patience) and the my Home Ec teacher (little time/attention to give). Neither were good learning experiences.
I never did anything good enough. Crooked, too wide seams, thread tangling, etc. If I had been an adult, I would have walked away and never looked back.
Tension!!!! Automatic tension adjustment would have been great. My machine now has that.
Someone who could have worked with a child.
Finally realizing it's only a machine that was built by humans. It never judges me when I make a mistake or something turns out ugly.
Maybe, just determination to finish what I began learning.
My first one was a portable Singer and kept it mostly in the closet with it's menacing wheels and parts!!
About 3 months ago at a sewing retreat. it has taken me many years to realize it wasn't the machine all along. It was the teachers that started me on life-long journey to win over my their ineptness... it wasn't me as a child.
A baby quilt was given to me at my 1st shower for my DD in 1961 and I kinda copied it.
Could only use a straight stitch. Don't remember being taught about a zig-zag.
I made my DD a baby quilt out of 2 x 2 sq. of all the flannel scraps I had used to make sacques, dressing gowns, night shirts for her. I made a template, cut all the squares, sewed them and hand-tied it. I still have it. It is 47 years old and somewhat worn. I never really thought of it as a quilt. I only thought they went on big beds not babies!! Duhhhh!!

Last edited by quiltjoey; 10-31-2012 at 07:52 PM.