View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012, 04:28 AM
grann of 6

I learned at my mother's feet, I sat on the floor and made doll clothes (no Barbie in the 40s) with the scraps. My mother could and did sew everything, so therefore, so have I. I remember in 9th grade sewing class we were to make a skirt with a waistband and zipper in it. I chose a blue plaid wool. My plaids matched perfectly, and I got in trouble because I didn't pin, hand baste, then sew in the zipper. I just put the zipper in perfectly the first time. I had to bring a signed note in from my mother attesting that I had no help on the skirt. I later became the classroom helper.

I don't ever remember being frustrated by a sewing machine. I still have the Singer that was my mother's. All my machines sit on countertops in my sewing studio in the basement, except the treadle in the living room.

I have never taken a sewing class since high school, have made several wedding gowns, on down to baby layettes. I currently am in love with quilting, something that my dear departed neighbor got me into about 5 years ago. I am currently trying to challenge myself in between my charity quilting. I get more pleasure out of gifting the unfortunate, than making beautiful quilts to put in a show. I feel I was given a "gift" in my ability to sew and create with thread and fabric, and it is my duty to pass that "gift" on to others.

I haven't answered all your questions, because I can't remember them all. I currently have 4 computerized sewing machines, and all are used on a regular basis; also have a treadle, several Singers from the 1930s and 40s, and a hand crank Singer. I also have 2 sergers, a blind hemmer, and a monumental stash. I love machine embroidery. I hate hand sewing because when I was young, my job was to make the hand made buttonholes and hem the skirts in everything my mother made for me. If it can be done by machine, I will not do it by hand.