View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012, 09:15 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
Keeping in mind, getting good at quilting on a long arm is going to take you just as long as getting good at it on your domestic size. In both cases it takes TONS of practice, plus with the long arm you have a learning curve just getting it running happily. I don't think that's phrased right, but they aren't walk up to and drive equipment.

Which is why a good dealer is worth their weight in gold! I am so glad I didn't take this leap buying a used machine with no dealer support to set it up in my home then show me how to properly load a quilt, change tension, thread it, use the laser light and all the other stuff.

However, I was able to hit the ground running with mine. I tried and tried FMQ on my Bernina and it was abysmally awful at it. My first time at a LA was infinitiely more successful. However, I draw a lot and I found drawing translated to LAing very nicely. Yes it still took a lot of practice and still does, I am continually refining my skills and learning but to me FMQ on LA is way, way easier than FMQ on DSM.