View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012, 07:49 AM
quiltstringz

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
It is important to have one's stitch balanced - I have noticed that a seam will pop if one of the threads is really tight and is just 'floating' on the surface.

I really hated to redo those seams - but when that thread pulled out soooo easily - - it was worth the effort.
In addition to the quality of products used, I really think that a lot of issues can be solved if your machine is working well. No you don't have to have an expensive machine (that is a matter of choice) and I have seen many successul quilters that use vintage or "cheaper" machines. I personally don't know how to explain this but if you are having issues I would ask around at my LQS/Quilt Guild/anywhere you can find experienced sewers to teach you about Tension. With the newer threads available (Aurifil/Masterpiece/etc.) that even though they are 50 wt like Star/Guetterman/Connecting Threads, they actually run through your machine smoother or like a little smaller thread. I think that this is the area that a high percentage of us are not knowlegable. I know that Superior Threads has some great information on Needles and believe that they also do on Tension. Anyone who has any other good sources that might be a great topic. Sorry I am rambling - listening to a conference call for work at the same time