Old 11-07-2012, 11:07 AM
J Miller

Comments on Rewiring a potted motor, part 2.

Well the Singer is rewired, I wired it as a portable rather than a cabinet model so I used the wiring from our Featherweight to see if my work was any good. It was, the motor took off without any hesitation. The machine ran fine.

Now to wire a dedicated cord set. I had wiring from my LSMG, he’s got boxes upon boxes of wiring and gave me one so I dug out a complete cord set less the connector plug. The plug was marked SINGER, but I have no idea what it came from.
From our 319K that I bought a new wiring set for I used the connector plug. The foot controller is a Singer unit that came with my Commodore.

I put them all together and made a wiring set for the 15 plugged it together and leaned way back when I plugged it in just in case the sparks flew. They didn’t. The machine light came on, but the motor wouldn’t go zoom zoom.  Say WHAT?!

Well in all the handling I had flipped the connector block upside down and wired one of the controller wires in the wrong place. No sparks or shorts, but no power to the motor. Got that all fixed and my Frankin wirings works.

After that to test the machine I made a Whacky quilt sandwich with it. Only 24” x 30” but it will be the test quilt to see how our new SS walking foot works.

Now a question for Candace.
You said in the thread written by pinkCastleDH
{ http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...d-t205138.html }
Originally Posted by Candace
Machines that have donor parts are still in "original" condition if the parts are original manufactured parts and not repros. <snip>

So, my red and black wires that I rewired the motor with came from a Singer machine,
The green connector block came from a Singer machine,
The grey cords came from a Singer machine,
And the brown foot controller came from a Singer machine.

Does this mean my 15-91 is in original condition?

Just teasing, of course it doesn’t.

Joe

Last edited by J Miller; 11-07-2012 at 11:16 AM.