View Single Post
Old 10-18-2009, 10:52 AM
Barbm

I've been quilting since '04- or was it '05? Anway, I consider myself to be a newbie since there are so many things I still want to learn.

I bought a "kit" from Wal-Mart- it had a 6 1/2" x 13" ruler and 4 patterns in it. I had a rotary cutter and mat from years of crafting so I dug that out. Fabric- $1.00 a yard from Wal-Mart. After all, I'm learning and I don't know if I will like this. I made a single Irish chain for my son's twin bed. Backing is his twin sheet from sheet set he no longer needed. Binding- I brought it around from the back. I can look at it now and see tons of mistakes- I had no walking foot and I didn't mark my diagonal lines- I went by sight. But, you know what, it's my favorite. It's soft and cuddly and I've had to repair it more than once.

Since then, I've made many quilts. My techniques have improved, my fabric stash has grown and I am always asked to make them for gifts so I guess I've gotten better. Much of my knowledge had been gleaned from all the incredibly talented quilters here on this list. I love this board and all it has to offer.

So now I look back at that first quilt and think- what was I thinking- how could I not like quilting? It grabbed me and hasn't let go.