View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 08:07 AM
coffeebreak

Default Need help with fabric labels for quilts

I begin today to make the labels for the quilts I made for my grand kids for christmas. I splurged and bought a package of Tailor Sew-in COmputer PRinter Fabric...sheets where you print content out on the printer and then pull the backing off the paper/fabric and just sew it into the project...like a piece of fabric.

Cool thing I thought as I had tried other things and they left the block I made with it rather stiff, but still okay. But thinking of longevity...I slurged with my 50% off coupon and got this.

Now I am reading the back "fine print" and it says DRY CLEAN ONLY! Are you kidding me? Dry Clean a add-on fabric? These are quilts for kids, hopefully they will take care of them, but still...kids and laundry go hand in hand so the quilt has to be machine washable! So..have you used these before, can they be washed without ruining them?

If not...what have you all used for your labels? I want something large enough to write a little note kind of thing plus who made and to whom. I have tried just printing the writing out onto fabric (backed with the freezer paper) but then when washed...it fades to even disssapears.

Please help! I have 5 labels to make. I have a HP DeskJet printer..about 8 years old so it doesn't have any "new" stuff if needed to print them. I am ordering new HP ink cartridge so that will be ready to go. I used only black prior, but would like to do color this time. Thanks for any suggestions!

Oh...if you have a favorite site that has labels you can print out so I have design/color going on, please share