View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 02:32 PM
jcrow

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

In 1992 I took a beginner's quilting class and then my second class was a "New York Beauties" paper piecing class. Similar to Mariner's Compass block. I loved it. I didn't know any better, so it wasn't hard and it went so fast (putting the blocks together). Be sure to go to Youtube and watch someone paper piece a Mariner's compass. The best thing would be a class. Carol Doak has a Youtube video that is wonderful. She is the queen of pping. But it doesn't explain Mariner's compass.

I haven't paper pieced but once since that time and I want to learn to paper piece so my dear mentor here on The Quilting Board sent me Carol's DVD and my good friend here, Fran, just sent me a huge supply of Carol's foundation paper (which would be nice for you to have) and as soon as the mountain pass is drivable, I'll take my machine over to get her running again and maybe then I'll try my hand at paper piecing. Oh, I just received in the mail "Foundation Factory, 50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars by Carol Doak". I can change the size of the stars and print them right onto my foundation paper. So Cool!!!

I'm 99% sure the class will be geared for people who have never paper pieced before. I took a paper piecing class 2 years ago and everyone had never pp before. I feigned a migraine because I just couldn't get it and left. Now I realize it was the teacher, not me.

Last edited by jcrow; 12-09-2012 at 02:40 PM.