Thread: Mom's quilt
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 01:15 PM
PenniF

Since there have been a couple of questions about my quilt as you go method - boy i hope i can explain it.....I've been thinking about how to tell you .. and trust me, it was much easier to do than to explain.
I made the quilt in 9 sections. The center labyrinth, the 4 French braid panels (2 with the star blocks on the ends) - 2 sides, 1 bottom and 1 top. I pieced the sections then quilted each one. I then sewed the sections on in order, staring with the top and bottom short french braids to labyrinth first. After each section was added, I pressed the seams open - then carefully trimmed out the batting close to the stiching line. I then made what would be the same as a binding strip - beginning with a 3 1/4 inch strip of the backing fabric - folded in half and pressed - a few inches longer than the seam of the quilt i had just sewn. I lifted one side of the raw edge seam allowance (that i had pressed open) and with Elmer's washable school glue - i "tacked" the cut edge of the "binding" strip up against the seam (under the seam allowance). With the back side still up - I then sewed - putting the edge of my walking foot against the seam lline - and sewed the "binding" strip to the quilt. After that - i folded the "binding" strip over - keeping the pressed open seam allowances flat - so that it covered the raw edge seam allowances - and hand stitched it to the back of the quilt along the folded edge.
SORRY ----- i DO HOPE this is making sense !!! It really did go very quickly - and i suppose i could have machine stitched the folded side down as well - but that wasn't exactly the look i was going for on the top side.
Again....it was MUCH easier to do than to explain. But it made the quilt go together very quickly - and i didn't have to wrestle with a queen size to quilt it on my trusty little Viking.
Also -- there was no pattern - i just chose blocks/patterns i like and put them together