Old 10-22-2009, 10:58 AM
omak

Trust me - - if you look at it too much, you will become confused <g>.
Layer the fabrics
Make the cuts - - there will be eleven stacks, each with eleven different colors in each stack ... or, eleven stacks with FIFTEEN different colors ... you are the human, you have superiority over all inanimate objects, they have to do what you say! <g> If you want twelve blocks, then by all means! Use twelve different fabrics ...
Then you must shuffle the "deck" - - first stack, put top piece on the bottom. Second stack move two pieces from top to bottom ... third stack, three pieces put to the back of the deck (from top to bottom)
Work through each stack, moving the matching number of pieces from the top to the bottom as the order that you are picking them up to shuffle the pieces.

The reason that you are getting stumped is: you want to cut, shuffle, sew, then cut again ... and shuffle, sew, and then cut again ...
I don't know how that will turn out, and it might very well work ... but, I do know that the quilters who have written about the "stack and whack" or "shuffle the deck" ... have a process that will get you what you want.