Old 12-14-2012, 06:21 AM
Michellesews

I teach sewing and my last class had two 11-year-olds. One had a cheap Singer Simple...and other a very low end Brother, not sure if the Brother was a $49.00 one, but it was close. That little Brother outsewed that Singer like crazy! Brother has a good name and probably what everyone is thinking is that she may not like it and stay with it, and then you have invested money for nothing.
When I was 12 my mother (this was 1962 BTW) spent $300. ( a fortune then) on the first Singer Touch and Sew, just for me because she hated sewing. I took the free course that came with it and it was the best thing she ever did for me....I have been sewing like a mad woman ever since, and have often reflected on how different my life would be if I did not have sewing, quilting, and all, to turn to and to enjoy. It enriched my life beyond description...and hopefully, this little machine will do the same for your recipient. She can always upgrade. Now if you told me you purchased a $49.00 Singer, these days, I would say...WORRY! lol. The only bad thing about Walmart cheap sewing machines is they have a lot of plastic in them and they are not meant to be run hard and often. But for learning...I am sure it will be just fine. Blessings to you for sharing your love of sewing.