Old 12-19-2012, 06:16 AM
TanyaL

Originally Posted by LAQUITA View Post
A note from 'the other side' of the blanket....so to speak.
We have spents weeks/months in Ronald McDonald houses all across the US due to our DD multiple health issues, she still has the blankets, dolls, bears...that was so graciously donated by volunteers for the children that stayed at the various RMDH. She is now 23 & still has these various items that are near and dear to her heart. When she is feeling discouraged or needs a little encouragment she grabs one of these items, It gladdened my heart & hers that someone thought enough to care to make these items for kids they did not even know. It brought a smile to my heart to see her able to pick out one she wanted and it also brought a smile to her face to be able to feel so special as to be able to pick something out that someone made for'her'. Even though the time we spent away from family, out of state and in the RMDH's was not a good time in our life, it did come with these sweet memories of what she got from where, simply b/c someone cared enough to make .....for the children that stayed in these homes. IT DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE in both the life of the child and their parents.
I was with my granddaughter when she was at the Ronald McDonald's House (traveling from Texas to Philly) while she received Chemotherapy for cancer when she was 4 months old. She was the youngest ever treated for her cancer; she was born with it and of course it was iffy if she would live. Her parents received a baby quilt each time she went for treatment. They didn't feel free to refuse them and only the prettiest one was kept. In her case there was no comfort from the quilt but gratitude that it was given. Her mother packed it away and kept it for her to have when she had her own baby. It must be accepted that not everyone gets comfort from a quilt; but gets comfort from caring people. I think that is why many are asking why the quilts were sent to this town. For many people, a quilt would be just another blanket for the bed. It isn't fair to criticize those asking why as not caring. Perhaps they are wondering why something is being offered that would not bring them comfort personally. I can only remember how the quilts were offered to my family in such a way that we didn't feel free to refuse and after one, we didn't want any more. Not everyone is comforted in the same way or grieves in the same way. I think we are only trying to understand each other here.

Last edited by TanyaL; 12-19-2012 at 06:19 AM.