Old 12-19-2012, 07:08 AM
gramajo

Originally Posted by cherrio View Post
wow, this subject has certainly sparked a debate. I can see both sides of the issue and agree with many; money is not an issue for this town, they have blankets, food and roofs over their heads and all the creature comforts denied to someone affected by natural didasters that we have seen lately.

That being said; someone else mentioned that having a quilt given to them due to the fact that a loved one was murdered-is that going to be a very painful reminder of the murder each time they look at said quilt? Perhaps it will. for years. But, I think that in time the shock and anger and searing pain will find a place in their lives that is able to accept the quilts as the loving hug it was intended to be. And for those who would see their quilts be put to use by those affected by storms and who have no electricricity, water or roof over their head-by all means-send those folks quilted hugs, bottled water and warm socks and canned goods. There is always a need. Sometimes it is Mother Nature's wrath and sometimes it is evil in human form. Pick your own charity. Let your own sense of community and financial capabilities guide your efforts. No, they may not need a quilt in Connecticut, but they will donate it to someone who does perhaps when the media leaves. So, pay it forward in whatever form and amount you are comfortable with. I can't afford to give a single store bought present this year, not even to my grand babies; but we will have cookies. There is food on the table, love abound and I know that a few of those wealthy families would trade their wealth for my poverty this very minute to hug their sweet child this Christmas morning. So, do what is right in your heart and don't try too hard to second guess what your neighbor is doing. give freely from your heart and continue to teach your children to do the same. I love the discussions we have on this board! (and I agree about the RED CROSS)
Well said, cherrio