Old 10-24-2009, 01:35 PM
kapatt

[Does this mean you have everything neatly organized?]

laughing...well, as organized as a person can be when they are sewing. I make quite a mess with my rulers, cutting mats, scraps and all when I'm sewing.

After having a dedicated sewing room for a couple of years, I had to give it up to my son when he came back from college, I moved my sewing things back to my dining room.
This is how I've set up the dining room for sewing. I do have an cabinet that I keep my sewing items in (pins, needles, sewing machine attachments, zippers, bias tapes...)
I set up three tables in a "U" design...one in front of me with my sewing machine, one to the right of me and one behind me (for cutting and ironing). I have a plastic, office floor mat under my chair that has rollers. That way, it is very easy for me to turn from one table to the other one without jumping up every few minutes.
I use the table on the right side as a place to put the rulers, pens, cutters and such when I'm not using them. That way they stay out of my sewing and cutting area.

I organize my projects. What I do is put all of the fabric (plus patterns, notes) for my project that I'm working on, in one tub. When I'm working on more than one project that month, each project has it's own tub. That way I don't have two projects inter-mixed.

Since I keep my projects in tubs, it isn't difficult for me to clean things up quickly if need be, but still be able to find everything later on.

Like I said, that is what I've done up until now.

Now, I'm moving most of my things into my daughter's room. (She moved out a few years ago, but I had gotten tired of moving my sewing things from room to room and I really liked the dining room setup.)

I'll keep a bed in there for a guest bed, but I'll be able to use the rest of the room for my sewing. I'll have only two tables instead of three because of the space the bed takes up. I'll use the table in front of me for my sewing table and put a table behind me for my cutting and ironing.

One reason I almost didn't move my sewing things out of the dining room is because my neighbor comes up once a week with her machine and sews with me. Right now, we are working on the Underground Railroad quilt. Even with my moving my sewing things out, we will continue to sew in the dining room because that will give us the most room. My kitchen has a big cooking bar where we can set up the large cutting mats. We set the ironing board up on the other side of the bar.