Old 01-01-2013, 11:25 PM
blahel

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia
Default Help..which fusible/stabiliser to use in t-shirt quilt

Ok fellow quilters I need some advice. I want to make hubby a t-shirt quilt for his birthday in August using all of his favourite V8 race car t-shirts which have been worn and some well worn. I only get one go at this as he only has limited shirts and he wants me to use them as they are his favourites so I cant stuff up! I also want to do it properly so the quilt lasts and I do not want to tie the quilt. I also don't want a stiff quilt.
After much research I have looked online for a stabiliser to use as that is recommended when making t-shirt quilts but here in Australia choices are limited and I have found 2 but I am unsure if they are suitable for the purpose. These are the only 2 that are 17 inches wide which I think is necessary but if anyone else feels differently then please let me know. I also realise that these are fusibles and not stabilisers and I am getting confused so thought I better ask for advice from all you knowledgable people so that if this is not the right one to use kindly let me know which one is.
See below for the 2 that I have found and can anyone kindly advise which is suitable. I would prefer to use the Lazygirls one as that is half the price of the other one. I want to use an Australian company as i want to get started as soon as possible.
First one:
HeatnBond Lite Fusible Web 17" Wide - Sold by the Metre
A lightweight paper-backed adhesive that has a strong bond without adding extra weight or stiffness to a project. Once applied HeatnBond Lite is easily sewn through, without gumming up your machine needles. It is ideal for applique, quilting, home decor projects and more. This iron-on webbing eliminates the need for pinning. It is machine washable after edges of the project have been sewn.
Sold by the metre. Measures 17inches (43 cm) wide.

Second one:
Lazy Girl Designs Fusi-Bond Lite Fusible Adhesive Web Interfacing 17" wide
For a strong bond between layers of fabric without adding weight or stiffness to a project, perfect for applique and bonding layers of fabric together. Similar to Heat N Bond Lite/Wonder Under. Once applied, Fusi-Bond is easy to sew, making it ideal for multi-layer appliqués in quilting, home décor, and wearables. It is coated with a uniform, sprayed adhesive for a wrinkle-free application. It won’t gum up your sewing machine needle, offers an even and consistent bond and won’t add weight or stiffness to your project. Fusi-Bond = fusible bond.
Sold by the metre
Thanking you in advance.