View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 06:21 AM
onaemtnest

Originally Posted by quiltjoey View Post
I'm sorry, MissSongBird and Dolphyngrl, that you both have had those experiences. Some of the quilting groups are hard for "new" people to enter. And age doesn't really matter. When I first started my quilting journey about 5 or so years ago, I encountered some of the some experiences with younger, same age, and older ladies in different groups. I was actually laughed at on 2 separated occasions. I am 69 1/2 years old, so age doesn't matter. It reminds me of being in middle and high school and the "mean girls" attitudes sometimes. At first, it bothered me but now I realize how some women tend to stay in the "insecurity stages of adolescence" and never mature to reach out to others fully. I think it has to do mostly with trust issues in their past. My advice is for you to just keep quilting and don't let anything sway your confidence. Before you know it, you will become the "older" ladies and there will "youngins" that will need your help, guidance, and encouragement. I am in a wonderful Quilting Guild now and always enjoy going to the meetings. We all have a tendency to stay with what is comfortable to us and some people just have a harder time reaching out. I don't think it is you. You are next generation of quilters and the art needs young people like you to continue on. Please look for and find a group that you feel comfortable with for I believe there is one out there for you. With kindest regards,
JoAnn

Wow JoAnn I couldn't agree with you more, your entire post is 'right-on'. IMHO