Old 10-26-2009, 04:37 AM
ButtercreamCakeArtist

I have the Brother SE-270D. I started out with a Brother sewing machine, and that is what Mom always uses, too, so ....I drooled over the 270D and received it for my Christmas present in 2007. I had some problems with the machine, but it wasn't the problems that were the problem, so much as it was BROTHER's POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE! The problems were fixable, it was just hard getting Brother to do anything other than be intimidating after they would answer the phone (not a toll free number) after having me on hold for about 15 minutes each time.
As of right now, I have no complaints with the machine. It's been working fine.

I also have some singer sewing machines.

You should definately do some shopping and look at different brands that are available to you. I didn't reallly have anywhere to look at machines other than Wal-Mart and online because there is no dealer around here. And the Brother was the most affordable.

It seems like there are a lot more SE machines out there now.

I encourage you to go with something with a larger embroidery area than 4"x4", that is what I have. I'd love to be able to do some bigger designs. The re-hooping gets annoying. If getting a machine with a USB in it is an option for you, go for it! I have the PED basic. I got it for a little over $100. I love that I can put designs on it and put the card in the computer, but sometimes I have issues with it.