View Single Post
Old 10-26-2009, 02:24 PM
OdessaQuilts

Originally Posted by diannemc
I am trying applique quilting...by hand...I am using the freezer paper but just don't know...it is stiff with the paper and the curves won't turn very well. I know to clip the inside curve but on the outside curve do you need to run a thread so it will curve in? Hope you can understand..I don't know if I am going to like this
I've done needle-turn applique and freezer paper applique. Either is good, but there is a learning curve. With the freezer paper on the top, what I usually do is fold under the edge and finger-press the applique. Following that, if you want a crisper folded edge, I'd suggest perhaps using a mini-iron (Clover makes a nice one) to press a firmer edge. You can then get a nice crisp edge to work with. (If you press too frequently on the freezer paper, I have found that you can adhere it to the fabric almost permanently, so you will want to be careful).

Just take your time and only work a little bit at a time (maybe an inch or two) before moving on. Eventually you will work your way around the piece and it will be secured to its base. The more you work at it, the better you will become.

I can't guarantee that you will love it, but give it a chance ... you just may!