Old 10-27-2009, 10:17 AM
OdessaQuilts

Originally Posted by cbmesu
I just started quilting and already lost my confidence! I need to know the must haves to quilt. And whats the easiest thing i can start with. And also is it really possible to machine quilt because I am being told you have to have a very expansive machine. Please help, I need to find something I enjoy for my downtime and I absolutely love the art of quilts!
Thanks Carrie
Carrie,

First things first: take a deep breath and vow NOT to be afraid of this process, because it can be daunting. Baby steps ... baby steps ... baby steps (this is your new mantra.......)

I love the convenience of rotary cutter/self-healing mat/rotary rulers. But many a fine quilt have been made by using decent fabrics and a good, sharp pair of sewing shears that are ONLY used for fabric.

You do not need a $17,000 quilting machine to quilt with. That's a step far down the road. First you need to piece together your top, which can be done with an inexpensive sewing machine (as many have already said) or even by hand with a needle and thread.

Select your first pattern carefully. Start small (lap quilt is plenty large enough for a first project) and choose your materials at a reputable fabric store. They don't have to be $15/yd., just good quality, 100% cotton (preferred), in colors you like together so that you will enjoy working on your piece.

As for pattern and further help (because as a person who used to teach beginning quilting for many years), I would recommend the following:

Do you have a Community Education program affiliated with your local school system or Community College? They often have decent beginning quilting classes that are reasonably priced and fairly convenient. If not, call around to local churches (especially those with an elderly population), or even towns/township clerk offices with Amish or Mennonite settlements nearby. These people know how to quilt or may be able to put you in touch with someone who may be willing to teach you (or at least offer some assistance/constructive criticism about your progress).

If that fails (or to augment it), stop by your public library and pick up a good book on beginning quilting. No library? Try an online bookseller (I like Alibris.com as I can buy used books for a song that are usually in really good shape. Some even come from the collections of libraries) and try to purchase one. Some of these books even have simple blocks referenced in them for you to try; many have small projects.

Read everything you can get your hands on. After you've got your top pieced together, come back for advice on how to layer, baste and quilt it. As Mamagus said, "we're open 24/7!" We'll be glad to help!

Odessa