Thread: Worst Advice...
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 04:16 AM
GailG

Originally Posted by carolaug View Post
I was thinking we hear lots of advice from teacher, friends etc..regarding quilting. When I first started I watched a tutorial on the internet that said never iron seams or pieces. I tried that once...never again. Yes you can make a quilt...but it does not look as nice. It really makes a huge difference to take the time and iron the seams. What poor advice have you heard and tried?
I think this advice meant not to "iron" the seams but to "press" them. Ironing can distort the block, especially if there are bias seams or edges.

I still cringe at some poor advice I gave to students in a beginning garment construction class. One astute student, followed my advice literally and could have ruined her garment. But the garment was much too big, so the seams had to be redone. In my inexperience of teaching others, I told them to "trim all INSIDE seams"
to 1/4 inch. Well that was the wrong choice of words. (After all, ALL seams are inside the garment.) We were attaching a facing to a neckline. The word I should have used was to "trim all ENCLOSED seams to 1/4 inch."

The person who advised not ironing may have just not elaborated and said that pressing was a better choice.

Last edited by GailG; 01-21-2013 at 04:19 AM.