View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 09:02 AM
scraphappydenise

Question ???? working with antique wool blocks

I am looking for some advice.... I am working with some antique wool crazy blocks. they were most likely pieced early to mid 1900's.... I am making some table runners out of them, to share with the family members of the person who started them....

I have trimmed them to a consistent size of 10" and using some wool yardage, I've sashed them at 2" finished... then added a 4" outside border. I used a 1/2" seam and graded the bulk out of the seam....

My questions... 1) should I use wool for the backing? 2) wool batting or warm and natural batting? I have never worked with wool batting before. 3) quilting will be by hand.... I want to keep it simple, as the blocks have a very antique, yet contemporary feel to them with simple herringbone type embroidery at the seam lines. Should I leave the center of the blocks w/o quiltling.... quilt just a bit in the ditch to anchor a bit? I am planning on a single direction diagonal on the sashing and border edges. 4) what do I bind it with? or should I do an envelope type closure and quilt the edges?

Thanks for the help.