View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 06:45 AM
BoJangles

Well, I am convinced not only was the FW copied from G.E.'s Model A, but they also copied the carrying case! I want to find one of those little green machines, but they are not easy to find!

Singer took the design and improved it by making a folding extension bed, making the head out of aluminum where as the Model A was cast iron. Reverse was also added - the Model A doesn't have reverse. Singer also made a much better stitch regulator on the FW. But, Singer retained the rotary hook design because of the continous and smooth circular movement of the stitch forming mechanism, which was necessary to keep such a lightweight machine from walking around when sewing. Singer also improved on the bobbin's access, and the bobbin winder. On the Model A, you have to run the stitching mechanism in order to wind a bobbin. The FW has a stop motion screw allowing you to run the bobbin winder without running the needle and drive parts.

Knowing all this, I can see why the little green GE Model A didn't take off like the FW did. I can also see why collectors want one of those little machines! Now, because of you, that little green G.E. Model A is on my wish list!

Thank you Steve.

Nancy