View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 10:16 PM
cathyvv

Oh, yeah, I can relate. DH and I cleaned out my older daughters' home last summer. Figuring out where to start was the biggest job of all! Pack rat mentality combined with 'I don't like to clean' mentality' housekeeping. They were moving, her DH was in crisis mode at work, my daughter chose to have an elective but very big surgery right then, so we got very little help from them. The two kids were as helpful as they could be though, and, of course, we got to spend time with our 'grands', so it wasn't all bad!

Tackle every big job through a series of small jobs.

1) Take a small box with you into your sewing room.
2) Fill it with some of the 'overflowing' fabrics from your stash.
3) Go sit in front of the TV and fold the fabrics. (Bonus: If you have fabrics that you look at and think "What was I thinking when I bought that?", set them aside to give to a guild for charity quilts.)
4) Before you go to bed, go into your sewing room and clear a space on a shelf that is big enough for the folded fabric.
5) Put the folded fabric in the space you cleared.
6) Pick up the fabrics you swept to the floor (that's how I would clear the space! (LOL)) and put it in the now empty box.
7) The next night, repeat from folding to refilling the box for the next night.

That'll be relaxing and will let you 'shop' your stash at the same time. And who doesn't like to fabric shop?