Old 01-30-2013, 04:57 PM
gramma nancy

I have learned a lot from all these comments, but there is something I have not seen mentioned. I never use a credit card when a debit card is handy. When I do have to use a credit card, I pay it off at the first bill so I never pay interest. I am sure the bank hates me, but I would rather spend the money on something for me and not the bank.

Mostly, I spend cash so I know how much is going out to to whom. I buy only underwear and shoes new. Everything else comes from thrift shops (and I get frequent compliments on my wardrobe.) An eagle eye and frequent visits to thrift shops in well-off neighborhoods pay for the gas in clothing savings.

I talked to my insurance agent and found sveral hundreds in savings on car and home insurance without lowering most coverage levels. You have to ask how to save money on insurance. A good agent will work with you and find places to reduce if there are any to find.

I haunt the meat aisle at the grocery store in the late morning when they reduce the meat that is within a day or so of its "sell-by" date. Lots of good deals there, especially on stuff that's too pricey for me to buy when it's at full price. We have had pork spareribs (when did they get so expensive?), lovely salmon, pork loin and too many other things to recount here.

Thanks to everyone who has offered these great suggestions.