View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 05:35 PM
miriam
Power Poster

I guess I think of my mother's FW - it was her college graduation present in 1948. That machine is well used for sure. It has hundreds of nicks, scratches and pits. Mom never pulled out pins when she was sewing the camper canvas or the drapes or re-upholstering the couch or when she made me a new coat out of an old coat or some such project.... My sister and I cleaned and oiled it for her Christmas one year. She said it ran just as good as when it was new. I know new finish would make it look better, but all those nicks and scratches and pits are from honest hard work. Merit badges on the machine maybe... I wouldn't want to repaint that machine - it wouldn't be right. It would be like erasing memories or something. That machine will never look or act like a new machine anyways - things that should be tight are loose. It still sews and will keep on sewing for a very long time. We did try Glenn's method on a different FW and it turned out much better than I thought it would. I'd do it again in a heart beat if I had the time... I sure do have machines that could use it - just not my mom's.