Old 11-01-2009, 04:30 PM
OdessaQuilts

Originally Posted by scrap_lover09
lol that is funny. I am 34 and know what a ham is. The kind you sew with and the kind you eat...lol but then I have been sewing since I was 8 and started with clothing construction. I worked at jo-anns when I was in high school but back then you had better had known a good bit about sewing or you weren't getting a job there. now they just don't care. I was lucky to have home ec classes still in high school too but those were just easy A'a...lol I wonder if they even still teach home ec?
I don't know of ANY home ec classes in this area, and I would think that it should still be taught. I work for attorneys and whenever I have to deal with "downstate" firms (i.e., Detroit), they all say things like, "oh, yeah, I forgot. You guys are out in the boonie's aren't you?" We're only 1-1/2 to 2 hours north of there! Surely Detroit people think we'd have home ec programs here in "the boonies"! :wink:

What is really sad is that since sewing and basic clothing construction is NOT being taught, it makes sense that those skills are all being shipped overseas -- not just because it's cheaper for the labor, but because we don't have the skills in teh US anymore! And we're just doing it to ourselves, aren't we??

Makes me shake my head.

often...............