View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 07:20 PM
GrannieAnnie

Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
Do you ask if someone would like one or do you surprise people? To me it seems like great big thing to give someone and a risk to surprise someone with. How often to you give them away in either of these ways? As a new quilter I already can tell I am in danger of being over run with these because I love making them.
I don't do big quilts, just personal sized (usually 45-54"wide and about 72" long.) But for the most part I give them to our church members who are having a hard time with medical problems------not necessarily terminal, but really serious surgeries or serious chronic diseases. Just finished up sewing together a rag quilt for a great guy with cancer. Still need to rag it out.

One gal is 47 and has about reached her limit on cystic fibrous. She's awaiting a lung transplant----------she got at quilt a good while back. And others who've had a hard time get throw quilts. I've lost count, in fact, I'd probably have a hard time remembering who all got quilts.

I do make an educated guess as to what colors would suit this person or that. So far, everyone has appreciated what they got. But these are "dragging around" quilts, not bed quilts that ought to at least look good in a room.