Old 02-18-2013, 02:40 PM
grant15clone

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Grant,

I have Kit auto wax in the can and bottle, the non abrasive kind and have used that to polish up my Commodore clone. It sure did shine. But not quite like the one you did.

I also have some of the chrome cleaner wadding in the can. Have used that too and it does work but again not like the ones I've seen you do.

The one thing you mentioned I haven't tried is the Dremel with the polishing wheel and rouge. I have it, just never tried it.
I'll have to do that.

Thanks for the tips.

Joe
Joe (and anyone that is following this) I have several bottles of different wax that I use. On one machine Brand X works best. On another machine Brand Y works best and so on. Try a little and see how it works on a particular machine. I have used as many as four different waxes on a machine to find the one that works best for that particular machine. A little sewing machine oil in between waxing can also do wonders too. I use tooth picks to get off a lot of stuff in tight corners and on Knurled knobs. Sometimes an old sewing machine needle is what is called for to get in there too but NEVER on a painted surface. Discretion and patience is needed. The space between the bed and the neck where the two join usually has an air bubble behind it. DO NOT RUB THERE TOO HARD WITH A TOOTH PICK!!! YOU WILL PUNCH THROUGH IT!!! I always try the mild to harsh method as to not damage anything and go slow. Tooth picks wear out faster but will not scratch paint or chrome, they crack and break easily, but they are cheap. And always use WOOD tooth picks. As for the Dremel and Jeweler's Rouge, BE CAREFUL! It is best for small parts because it does put tiny scratches in the surface and when light hits it, you will see "Swirls". On small surfaces these scratches or swirls are not noticeable but on larger surfaces they are. I have a cordless Dremel that has a low and a high setting. The low works fine but the high is too fast.
I hope this helps and good luck.
~G~