View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 07:10 AM
Chasing Hawk

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
Pardon my surprise, quilting friends, but I am astonished at how many of you are unhappy with my personal choices of what to do with fabric I don't like. Regas and Iclang, I live far in the country and do not belong to any quilting organization, nor is there one that I know of within driving distance. For instance I drive 25 miles to a grocery store.
None of my friends quilt. I got this particular few yards of mixed prints in a good buy when I bought a loveseat in New Orleans. The fabric, about 30 yards of mixed types was thrown in for $20. It included some cotton, some chiffon, some upholestry. Swifter mop pads cost about $5 a yard when you work out the square inch cost, so I am saving money using this ugly fabric. I am myself on a fixed income. The painting the I am doing are commission paintings and the cotton rags are much, much better than paper towels. Therefore the ugly fabric used for painting rags is contributing to earning money. Sewmom, I do not cut up old clothes because I prefer cotton for these mop cloths and painting rags and I do not wear cotton; I wear blends since I try to not iron very much. Blends will not soak up water and are useless to mop with and make terrible rags for oil paints. Until I decided to use my ugly fabric I was buying cheese cloth for painting and the Swifter Mop Pads. All in all, I think using the ugly, ugly cotton prints is a big savings for me and an excellent way to use that fabric. Please remember ugly fabric is not sacred for the use of quilts only.
Nice post Tanya

I understood what you meant on the first post.