View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 10:09 AM
Sierra

Mynani, Of course dense quilting is going to make a firmer quilt, but you have to think about what you like best about quilts, especially the ones you have made. I really concentrate on the pattern and I actually meditate on the person for whom a quilt will be made, sometimes for months, before picking out fabrics and beginning. So, my emphasis is on the design of the quilt itself. I do NOT want a lot of quilting done because it interferes with the design (I don't use patterns).

We all have our own bias and attitudes. When I see a wonderful floral quilt that, perhaps has taken first prize at a large show, I am impressed, but have no desire to go there myself. Sometimes I see designs that amaze me and I go up close to study them and am taken back by the "excessive" quilting, which to me, interferes with a very interesting design. We all are different. Study your quilt and come to YOUR decision. Yes, a lot of quilting makes a quilt stiffer and less quilting allows more of the batting "feel" to come through. They all are wonderful. It is a matter of you deciding, perhaps with each quilt independently, what you want for that quilt. Follow your instincts!!!!