View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 06:17 AM
homebody323

My friend brought be 3 large totes of her ugly fabrics to go with mine. All types, poplins, twills, rayon mixes. I take them put the 60wide stuff on my long arm in however long the piece is(ususally 2 or 3 yards) then I cut a strip of batting 60 wide and float it on top. Then the more colorful pieces that are 45" wide are cut 60" long and put on the machine 1 at a time. I baste the top and edges, do a double stitching line at the center and meander. When I reach the 22 or 23" mark on the sides of the quilt, I do a double line side to side. Both the verticle and horizontal lines are used for cutting later.
Bottom line, these impromto quilts with my "what was I thinking" fabrics are welcome relief for some dog or cat at our local shelters. They are laying on cement without this type of donation and although people do give rugs and blankets the quilts are easier for the staff to maintain. They require washing every day.
If you are replacing mattress pads for spring, wash and use them for the batting.