View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 06:41 AM
MizMelly

Originally Posted by QuilterMomma View Post
WOW!! You really do get into the dyeing. I am very impressed. Dyeing the wool sounds beautiful and very soft. So we send you some fabric that can be dyed so you will do it for us. I need shades of yellow for this flower applique art quilt that I just can seem to find any nice shading of. And do you charge for this besides us paying for the postage?
Sorry, I do dyeing to satisfy my own creative streak! I'm also sloppy, which means I never know what is going to turn out the right shade. So I normally do mixed colors for the fun of seeing what I come up with. That's where the parfait dyeing comes in. Presoak PDF (prepared for dyeing) fabric in soda ash solution, stuff it in a jar, pour in several dyes and let ferment in a nice warm place for 24 hours before rinsing out and then washing in very HOT water with synthrapol. Once it's dry, press and ooh and ahh.... And eventually I may use some of it in a quilt.
I do prefer to do acid dyes on wool and silk, it's a lot less complex and you get the satisfaction of a finished product much quicker than with fiber dyes.
Speaking of fiber, I have about 4 fleeces that need to be scoured and processed for spinning too. Think I'm going to be real busy over Spring Break. Not to mention finishing my blocks for Tam Moo's quilt, and finishing up blocks for another swap that are due by the 18th!!