Old 03-08-2013, 07:41 AM
judyrael

Default Sad but True

Originally Posted by LynnVT View Post
When my father in law was in a nursing home I made him a red, white and blue lap quilt, put his name right on it but it disappeared by the next time someone visited him a day later. That used to happen to my grandmother all the time. Nobody ever knew who took stuff, but anything we brought her vanished in no time. Sad but true. Sometimes other residents wander into a room and walk off with something, though that might be returned eventually. Sometimes there is someone on staff who just can't resist. I don't know, but it's heartbreaking when you've made something nice for a loved one.
I found the same thing happened in the Nursing Home my Mom was in. My sister and I would bring gifts and treats to her that just disappeared the next day. My sister and I took turns going every single day for 4 years and I'd say that half of the things we took to her were never found, even with her name on them. No matter which Nurse we asked, none of them could find things. A sweater, socks, robes, small quilts, rosary's, even pictures. It was a good Nursing Home, very well staffed but you have to wonder how things like this happen. They tell you to put labels on things and use permanent marking pen, which we did both. We even addressed the problem to the Administrator, who told us that he knew it was a problem in most Nursing Homes, that is why they tell you not to bring valuable things and although it was a constant problem, they were more concerned on good quality medical care. So sad and upsetting.