Thread: First quilts
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013, 05:41 AM
Teeler

I made a 'sorta' quilt about 20 years ago; I don't think there was any pattern, I think a cheater panel, some backing, and a pillowcase binding (ie: there was no real "binding" as I recall)...then I cut a ton of pieces out for a 'real' project (tracing around triangle templates...several hundred pieces later, I didn't want to do anymore, and it stayed in a plastic bag for years until I gave it away.)
This past Christmas, my penpal in Oregon decided we should exchange quilts (insert OMG shock face here because I didn't know ANYTHING about "real" quilting, and it was early December, and how the heck was I going to complete a quilt in time for Christmas?!)
So I buzzed a seller on etsy...asked her to put together a kit for me because I had NO idea what I needed, or how much I needed...found a simple D9P pattern, and made my way through it. Tied because I didn't know how to "quilt" it. This time, I put a wrap-from-the-back binding on it...so I'm getting better at the binding part, and soon I'll even put a real-live binding on one!

That second one actually gave me the quilting bug, so I'm on my way. I wish I'd been interested sooner (like when fabric wasn't 12.99 a yard!). Lots of catching up to do.