View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 08:56 AM
GramMER

Originally Posted by Ranchwife View Post
I'm going to start a quilt tomorrow that will be a QAYG. I'm planning on using the method described in this video. I hope it turns out ok. I don't want to have to quilt the whole thing or pay to have it done, so I'm hoping this method works well. In my mind, I don't see why it wouldn't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_qyb7XxY4k
This is it. This video shows the method I used more than 20 years ago, but I did not quilt it with a sewing machine back then. This really does work and the fronts of the quilt never show it is done this way! I can add a few ideas we used in our class that might make the whole business easier.

1. When putting the fronts of the blocks together, trim the batting back to where you want to make the seam on each block. Make the seam joining two blocks just like you would if the batting and backing were not there, and then the batting should be butted together. We never sewed through batting at all. We always used a whip stitch to join the two battings together making sure it did not separate after the top blocks were sewn together. Of course the whip stitch could not show on the front.

2. Then turn the blocks over and do what you saw in the last half of this video. You can use the glue or not. I never used glue for mine.

This method encourages speed and it also encourages portability. When I have a project going, I want to be able to carry it with me everywhere I go. QAYG definitely saves the aching back and arthritic wrists and hands. Sure it is nice to sew a complete top together and see your work within a day, but not so nice trying to quilt it later.