Old 11-07-2009, 08:31 AM
Lisanne

I have two variations, but they're essentially the same. One uses beef & red or pink beans; the other uses turkey and white beans (but is still a red chili).
Both are low-fat except for the added cheese, which can be omitted, and the optional toppings.
By the way, I leave out the chili powder and cayenne these days, as I can't handle hot spices. It still tastes quite flavorful to me.

1 1/2 pounds lean ground sirloin OR 1 1/2 lbs. lean ground turkey
1 large onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups chicken broth (I use Swanson canned broth)
1 small can tomato paste
1 small can tomato sauce
2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. chili powder
1/8 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or 3/4 tsp. minced garlic
1 cup chopped green or red bell pepper
1 can red or pink kidney beans OR 1 can small white beans, drained and rinsed (I use Goya or Wegman's)
salt to taste
2 - 4 sprigs fresh cilantro, chopped
1 - 2 large tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup cheddar cheese
Toppings to offer on the side: shredded cheddar cheese, chopped cilantro, sour cream or plain yogurt, hot sauce

1. In a 3 qt. saucepan over medium heat, cook the meat, onions and 3/4 cup of the broth for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until meat is brown (or turkey is white) and onions are tender.
2. Stir in the remaining broth, cumin, oregano, cinnamon, chile powder, cayenne, garlic, tomato paste and tomato sauce. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Stir in bell pepper, beans, cilantro and tomatoes. Taste, and add salt as desired. Cook, uncovered, over low heat for 20 - 30 minutes, or until most of the liquid has evaporated. Mix in the 1/2 cup of cheese.
4. Serve, with optional toppings in separate bowls.

Serves 4 - 6.

I like making cornbread to go with it.