View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 07:47 AM
SteveH
Banned

Originally Posted by QuiltFaerie
Okay, I have what is probably a dumb question, my favorite type of question by the way, how did you guys learn to restore these lovely old machines? Trial and error, favorite website, books, etc? This is fun!
For me it was growing up poor in a really rural area. I learned to fix things if I wanted to have things. I found out that a lot of people throw things away at the first sign of a problem, so I take those things and fix them. (Like the $50 Kitchenaid 6qt Pro that just needed two replacement gears and a replacement motor housing. Parts were available on the company website for less than $60, runs like a CHAMP now.)

My first car was a 1960 Old Delta 88 convertible that I spend three hours in the guys driveway making it run so I could drive it home.

I usually cannot afford really nice new things, so I get old used things and fix them up. I have access to more sweat and time than I do money.

As far as the skills, I think it started with a jewelry making class I took in High school. It was the first time i learned to manipulate materials rather than just take apart, clean, and put back.