View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 10:20 PM
quiltingcandy

I stopped working a year before my husband and I did all the cooking, most of the cleaning (I have had a cleaning lady for the past several years and refuse to give her up) and his only home chore really was mowing the lawn once a month. After he retired he felt it should remain that way - I couldn't even get him to take the trash out. Then a friend of ours came to visit and my DH is telling him that he refuses to mow the lawn unless I pull the weeds, and his friend told him that was just wrong, he was capable of pulling weeds, the friend asked when was the last time he washed the clothes, changed the sheets, or cleaned the toilet. My DH hadn't thought of any of those things because he was never home to know how it got done. I was raised if a job needs to be done, the person that has the time, gets it done.

Finding time while I was working - when I did the laundry I would sew. I cannot stand to leave clothes in the dryer or in a basket once they are clean and would immediately hang it up or fold it as it came out of the dryer., It would normally take 5 loads to get it all done, so figured it was a fair exchange, while waiting. Things like grocery shopping and running errands were done on my way home from church - or if we went out to dinner we would stop and shop on our way home. It was cheaper to shop for groceries on a full stomach.

You need to take the time and not feel guilty about it - everyone needs to do something they enjoy but don't stress yourself out trying to do it. The wonderful thing about quilting, it waits for you. The sad part is, sometimes when you go back to it your tastes change and you may look at the fabric and ask yourself, "What was I thinking when I bought that?"