Old 03-29-2013, 04:05 AM
quilterpurpledog

When I finished college ever so many years ago I purchased a Singer 401 with a desk cabinet. I have used it for 50 years. I inherited a Featherweight from my MIL and use it in our camper or to take to classes. I also have a Bernina 1130 that I have used for 30 years-I got it the first year they came out. All that being said I like top of the line machines and feel that they are worth their weight in gold because of reliability. I love my machines and use them a lot-like daily. Some days I think it would be nice to have a new machine-just to have a new machine. If I did do that I would certainly go for one far enough the line to be good to do quilting wonderfully well. My daughter-in-law has one of the inexpensive Singers (made for the Walmart crowd) and it is nothing but a headache. I taught a grandson to sew on my machines and he loves to sew-but he hates his mom's machine because of the problems. That being said, go for the best you can afford. You may not use all the bells and whistles but you could if you had the desire.